Somali teenager stabbed to death in Birmingham


Birmingham, July 18, 2013 —A 15-year-old boy who was fatally stabbed after a fight in a park had a bright future ahead of him, his headteacher has said.

Hassan Mahmood died after being stabbed in a Birmingham park following a clash between two groups.

Sohail Aslam, headteacher at the Rightrack independent school in Saltley, Birmingham, said Hassan had only joined the school six-weeks-ago, but settled in very quickly and was well-liked by staff and students.

“He was very respectful towards everybody, we’d had no problems and he had a bright future,” he said.

He added that the teenager had been working towards his GCSEs and loved “sports and singing”.

Mr Aslam said the school was considering some form of tribute to Hassan, in conjunction with the boy’s family.

Hassan was attacked in Oaklands Park, off Wash Lane, in the South Yardley area of the city, at about 5.55pm on Monday.

Four teenage boys were arrested a short while later on suspicion of murder.

A 15-year-old and 17-year-old have since been released without charge, while two 16-year-olds are still being questioned.

Emergency services attended the scene, and further searches of the area were continuing today.

Hassan was taken to hospital but doctors were unable to save him. A post mortem examination is due on Wednesday.

A teenager who saw the fight and was the first to break the news to the victim’s family said there was a desperate attempt to save Hassan after he was left fatally wounded.

He said: “Hassan was down the park with three other mates. There was a fight. He was stabbed with a huge knife and there was a lot of blood. And as soon as I saw that blood I just started running.

“I ran to my friend’s house, and they came and put Hassan on his side, in the recovery position, wrapped his wound, and put some water on it.

“Then I had to go and tell his (Hassan’s) family what had happened – I think I was the first one to tell them. It was awful.”

Floral tributes by a steady stream of mourners have been laid at the scene.

One bunch of flowers, from his girlfriend, read: “Hassan RIP – Baby I will never forget you – best boyfriend ever.

“I love you more every day, my soldier, your princess – Jess.”

Hassan’s brother and sister also arrived to tie up two star-shaped balloons at the park’s gates, with the words “RIP Hassan” written in glitter. They declined to talk to the media.

Detective Inspector Tom Chisholm said: “This was a tragic incident and our deepest condolences go out to the young man’s family.

“A murder investigation was immediately launched. We have a team of detectives working with local officers to gain an understanding of what happened.

“We are aware that there were groups of young people in the area, some of whom may have left the scene before the police arrived.

“There is some suggestion that this was a fight which has tragically gone too far.

“I would ask that people who were in the park or anyone else with information to contact us immediately.”

Officers are examining CCTV cameras which may have captured the stabbing.

Source: Sky News